Stichting Stapel provides partner acrobatics. In contrast with aerial acrobatics, the moves are built up from the ground: human structures in balance. It’s not just the end position that counts – getting up and down is just as exciting.
It’s amazing to watch but even more fun to do yourself. The possibilities are almost endless; think about all body parts you can use to balance on each another – hands, feet, shoulders, knees, head!
Acrobatics stands or falls by co-operation. There are basic shapes which require all the principles of acrobatics. Balancing, climbing, jumping, throwing, catching – exploring together how to utilise the position and momentum of each other in order to minimise the amount of strength needed. Trust and safety are always at the forefront.
You work with contrasts: tensing – relaxing, travelling – breaking, moving – standing still. You develop body control whereby co-ordination, concentration and understanding are of great importance.
You develop a technique to carry lighter, fly higher and land with greater control.
In the acrobatics lessons we work on your sense of balance, (directed) strength and body consciousness. You develop these as you go along, so you don’t need to be especially strong, agile or trained to begin doing acrobatics.
Lessons are given by two instructors – one for the ‘under’ and one for the ‘upper’ position: the base and the flyer.
About stichting Stapel
In 1991 Stichting Stapel (Stapel Foundation) was set up by set up by two enthusiastic acrobats who loved teaching and playing with acrobatics.
Stapel wants to stimulate partner acrobatics in all its forms.
Acrobatics lessons form the dynamic core of Stapel.
Participants from the age of 16 can grow from absolute beginner to highly experienced acrobat.
Every spring we put on a festive presentation evening so all participants can show their acrobatic skills.
Stapel has produced the acrobatics shows ‘Licht & Romig’ (Light & Creamy) and ‘De Sterren van de Hemel’ (Stars of Heaven).
The children’s shows ‘Schik met Schrik’ (Fun with Fear) en ‘Rare Haren’ (Crazy Hair) have played for years across the whole country.
Stapel offers advice and coaching for acrobatics shows.
On request, Stapel can set up acrobatic projects for (high) schools and training courses, various companies and organisations, for festivals and parties.
The foundation has cooperated in the development of a curriculum for acrobatics education and acrobatic teaching methods. The foundation also contributes to the Dutch umbrella organisation for acrobatics, Stichting NAF (NAF foundation).
Stapel is the source of information and advice for partner acrobatics in Amsterdam and the surrounding areas.
Acro balance is not only fun to do, but also exiting to watch. In the spring course we use a few lessons to create short acrobatics shows.
These shows are presented to the audience (friends, family, …).
The 2022 course presentation was on Friday 20 May at Theaterzaal LikeMinds in Amsterdam.
Gedempt Hamerkanaal 203
1021 KP Amsterdam (Noord)
(see Google Maps)
19:15 doors open
19:30 start shows
+/- 21:00 start buffet and party
Entrance for program, buffet and party: € 10
Children till 12 y half price
Drinks are not included
The presentation evening 2022 was taped on video, which is edited to 12 mp4 files, one for each show. For only € 4 you can download all these files, to view on suitable devices.
To get the files, follow these steps:
1. send an email to email@example.com with the wish to receive the files
2. John will reply with the payment information
3. after payment he’ll send you 2 links with which you can download the files.
Downloadlinks are also available of the presentations of 2017 – 2019.
Of course it’s easy to copy and share the files yourself, we hope that you are honest not to do so. Your payment covers the time involved with creating the video’s.
Eeke – Nynke – Levien – Robin
blij maken met een dode MUS
Birk – Shaun
van een kale KIP kun je niet plukken
Marleen – Niels – Chris – Emma – Lobke
de OOIEVAAR is langsgekomen
Isabelle – Kevin – Stefanie – Cristan
zo lijp als een KANARIE
Sander – Marieke
een vreemde EEND in de bijt
Lisette – Dieuwke – Jonathan
Joska – Levien – Noa – Annabeth
trots als een PAUW
Rian – Mirte
Dirk – Frits – Hilde – Sylvain – Lucy
de KIP of het ei
Frank – Debbie – Sofie H
Paul – Sofie B
dank je de KOEKOEK
Roos – Tim – Jamina – Eeke
Merel – Jonathan – Jurgen – Rebecca
vechten als een KEMPHAAN
Arend – Frank
on the basis of building, balance and momentum
Det Rijven & Cahit Metin (Monday lessons)
Det Rijven/Angela Dirven & guest teacher (Tuesday lessons)
The advanced lessons on the Tuesday evening are thematic, and are given in blocks of 4-5 lessons, each block with a different guest teacher.
During the spring course a course presentation is given in which the participants showcase their acrobatic achievements to the public, all wrapped up in a theatrical theme.
Anyone who is curious about or interested in doing acrobatics at Stapel can come for a trial lesson.
The best opportunity is the first lesson at the beginning of a new course. This trial lesson is free and if you like you can immediately continue with the full course.
You can also come for a test run on another night, but then it costs
After the trial lesson you can of course decide straight away if you want to join, or you can think about it for a couple of days. But by the next lesson Stapel would like to know your decision.
If you decide to join the course, the payment for your trial lesson will be deducted from the course fee.
Are you interested? Call or e-mail Det: 020 624 11 40 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
19.15 – 20.45 basic group
21.00 – 22.30 intermediate
19.00 – 20.30 advanced
20.45 – 22.30 very advanced
|start:||Monday 12 / Tuesday 13 September 2022|
|last lessons:||Monday 19 / Tuesday 20 December 2022|
|no lessons:||Monday 10 / Tuesday 11 October 2022|
|presentations (tentative):||Friday 20 May 2022|
1091 TK Amsterdam
BOOST is within walking distance of Amsterdam Amstel train station and Wibautstraat metro station.
Short course 6 lessons (June – July 2021)
Fall course 14 lessons (Sep – Dec 2022)
Spring course 21 lessons (January – June 2022)
- free trial lesson in the first week of the course
- no classes in school holidays
* a little extra
Stapel has also suffered a significant financial blow from corona in recent years. Stapel aims to make acrobatics accessible for everyone and to maintain high standards by having two paid teachers (a ‘flyer’ and a ‘base’). We are supported by ‘Friends of Stapel’ who donate regularly. As acrobat you can also contribute: If you can afford it, you are welcome to pay more than the minimum amount. In that way we can keep the courses affordable. For this, Stapel is of course eternally grateful!
By participating in Stichting Stapel classes, participants agree to the following rules:
Newcomers can follow a trial lesson, in the first week of a course this is for free; after thats it costs €15 (€ 18 for very advanced).
Within a week after this class the newcomer decides whether he/she wants to join the course.
Participants register for a complete course. Aside from the trial lesson it is not possible to participate per class, apart from exceptional cases and incidentally when the participant lives abroad and at the discretion of Stichting Stapel.
An ‘old’ course member reports no later than in the first week of the upcoming course if he/she doesn’t want to continue the classes; otherwise Stichting Stapel supposes he/she will join in the new course.
For the very advanced classes it’s only possible to subscribe with a partner, in consultation with the main teacher.
A course member must pay the course fee in the week he/she starts the course. Good reasons for paying in instalments can be discussed.
A reduction of 40% for the 2nd course is given, for participants taking part in two courses in the same period.
Course fees are not reimbursed. This applies, irrespective of the reason for stopping participation (illness, injury, pregnancy, moving house, etc.)
Classes missed can be compensated in a lower group during the ongoing course or the next course, provided course fees have been paid. Unfortunately compensation is not possible for the basic group as there is no lower or parallel course.
Video recordings and/or photography of (parts of) classes are not allowed, except of the participant him/herself and their partner(s) if clearly agreed upon.
Participation in the courses of Stichting Stapel is at one’s own risk.
• Do NOT come to class if you have any symptoms such as a cold (runny nose, sneezing and/or a sore throat), coughing, shortness of breath, an elevated temperature or fever, loss of smell and/or taste; even if symptoms are only mild
• Follow the general Dutch Covid rules
In addition to the regular Monday and Tuesday acrobatics classes, Det Rijven also gives special workshops with one of the regular guest teachers.
These are workshops for companies and organizations that want to get acquainted with partner acrobatics, often to relate to colleagues with a different approach. These workshops are about skills such as trust and cooperation, but also about challenges and crossing boundaries. The workshops are developed in consultation with the client.
Acrobatics workshops at foreign acrobatics conventions and weekends are provided by Det together with Jim Klinkhamer; at the domestic festivals she works with several guest teachers from Stapel.
Technical lessons or daily training in a week (end) program are also part of the practice of Stichting Stapel.
Teachers Training Partner-Acrobatics
by Det Rijven & Jim Klinkhamer
In 2014 and 2016/2017, Det & Jim taught a series of training sessions for (future) acrobatics instructors. The trainings are in six sessions, spread across three weekends, and include skills such as advanced technical knowledge, analysis of difficulties with the techniques, structuring lessons and explaining tricks.
The sessions are adjusted to the personal level of experience.
If you would like to receive information when a new series of these trainings will be organized, please let us know via this e-mail-link.
Workshops 2020 / 2021
– due to Corona regulations, all workshops have been cancelled
– March: workshop Wenen (Au) > Det & Jim
– April: Paasacroyoga Someren (NL) > Det & Jim
– May: Akrobatikfestival Frankfurt 2019 (D) > Det & Jim
– May: Acroyoga Sur Festival Andalucia (ES) > Det & Jim
– June: Nederlands Acrobatiekfestival (NL) > Det, Jim, Marco, Roos
– July: French Acrobatic Convention (F) > Det & Jim
– Aug: Fourth Austrian Acrobatics Convention (AT) > Det & Jim
– Februari: Akrobatiktreffen Kiel (D) > Det & Jim
– April: North Africa Camp-Out Marrakesh (M) > Det & Jim
– April: Akrobatikfestival Frankfurt 2018 (D) > Det & Jim
– May: workshop with Duo Die Amsterdam (NL) > Det & Jim
– May: Nederlands Acrobatiekfestival (NL) > Det, Jim, Marco, Jos
– July: Sun, Sea & Waterfall Acro Festival (HR) > Det & Jim
– Aug: Third Austrian Acrobatics Convention (AT) > Det & Jim
– Dec: Acrobatic New Year (NL) > Det & Jim
– February: Akrobatiktreffen Kiel (D) > Det & Jim
– May: workshop with Due Die Amsterdam (NL) > Det & Jim
– June: Nederlands Acrobatiekfestival (NL) > Det, Jim, Marco, Cahit
– July: French Acrobatics Convention, Eulalie/Bordeaux (F) > Det & Jim
– August: 2nd Austrian Acrobatics Convention (AT) > Det & Jim
– October: 8th Acro-Yoga Festival, Portland (VS) > Det & Jim
– November: workshop Basel (CH) > Det & Jim
– February: Akrobatiktreffen Kiel (D) > Det & Jim
– May: Nederlands Acrobatiekfestival (NL) > Det, Jim, Marco
– June: Israel Acro Convention 2016 (ISR) > Det & Jim
– July: French Acrobatics Convention, Eulalie/Bordeaux (F) > Det & Jim
– August: 1st Austrian Acrobatics Convention (Au) > Det & Jim
– September: Acrobatic Barcelona Convention, Barcelona (Es) > Det & Jim
– January: Winter Flight, Tel Aviv (Israel) > Det & Jim
– May: 29e Nederlands Acrbatiek Festival, Sittard (Netherlands) > Det, Jim, John, Marco
– June: Workshops Acrobalance London (UK) > Det & Jim
– July: French Acrobatics Convention Eulalie/Bordeaux (France) > Det & Jim
– September: Akrobatiktræf Kopenhagen (Denmark) > Det & Jim
– October: 6th Acro-Yoga Festival, Portland (USA) > Det & Jim
– October: Palo Alto (VS) > Det & Jim
– October: NYC, The Muse (VS) > Det & Jim
– December: Pré Wonen Velserbroek (NL) > Det & Marco
– December: Acrobatiekfestival Beek (NL) > Det & Jim
– March: Akrobatiktreffen Kiel (Germany) > Det & Jim
– April: Akrobatiekworkshops in Wenen (Austria) > Det & Jim
– April: PaasCroYoga, Veluwe (NL) > Det & Jim
– May: Frankfurter Akrobatikfestival 2014 (Germany) > Det & Jim
– June: Nederlands Acrobatiekfestival Hilversum (NL) > Det, Cahit, Jim, Marco
– July: French Acrobatics Convention, Eulalie/Bordeaux (France) > Det, Jim, Jos
– August: Akrotreff Räterschen (CH) > Det & Jim
– August: Krupa Acrobats convention (BIH) > Jim
– October: 5th Acro-Yoga Festival, Portland (USA) > Det & Jim
– October: Athletic Playground, Oakland SF (USA) > Det & Jim
– October: NYC Dutch Acro Festival, Brooklyn Zoo (USA) > Det & Jim
Det Rijven is Stichting Stapel’s regular trainer. Together with Cahit Metin, she teaches the beginners and intermediate groups, every now and then assisted by Roos de Groen as guest teacher.
The advanced and very advanced groups are taught in blocks of 4-5 weeks, by Det or Angela Dirven, each block with a different guest trainer: Jim Klinkhamer, John Kessels, Marco van Zanten, Marieke Drent, Marjolein Wagter, Tobias Bader and Wybren Wouda. All of whom have been active in acrobatics from between 15 to 30 years and have been trained in the school of ex-circus performers the Como Brothers and Osmani’s.
Wilko and Marieke
… is co-founder of Stapel. Det has a background in modern dance and has played in childrens’ performances for many years. She has been teaching acrobatics to amateurs and at the Theaterschool Amsterdam since 1987; she performed with acrobatics groups ‘Aiuto’, ‘De Sterren van de Hemel’, ‘Licht & Romig’ and ’16 Feet’.
… started as a child with Circus Elleboog. In 2009 he was co-founder of TENT circus theatre productions. He works there as performing artist and has many other roles.
… is architect and has many years of building and teaching experience in acrobatics. He performed in ‘De Sterren van de Hemel’ and is Det’s partner for workshops abroad.
… acted in several theatre and acrobatics groups and now performs with duo ‘Oddlings’. He also coaches circus theatre projects for children and adults.
… graduaded from circusschool DOCH in Sweden in 2010. She performs in various theatreshows and at outdoor festivals, mainly with her own company Fabuloka (with Ed Schulte).
… is co-founder of and performer in ‘Circus Klomp’ and ‘Cycling Circus’ and the brain behind ‘Dutch Acrobats’. He develops and coaches short acrobatics courses and circus theatre projects. He has been trained for teaching at the Brussels circus school.
www.circusklomp.nl, www.cyclingcircus.nl, www.dutchacrobats.com
… started doing acrobatics when she was 15, and never stopped. She is one half of the duo ‘Roos en Lokke partner-acrobatiek’ and has years of experience teaching in the Netherlands and abroad.
Wilko and Marieke
Marieke …. is part of the acrobatic trio Tête-bêche where she is performing as a flyer nationally and internationally in different circus and theater companies. She graduated from Codarts Circus Arts in 2016 and has experience in teaching acrobatics to children and adults since 2006.
Wilko …. is originally from Germany and graduated from Codarts Circus Arts in The Netherlands in 2017. Has been teaching in youth circus, circus camps and acrobatic conventions since 2004. Over the past years he has been performing internationally with Trio Tête-bêche.
… has many years of experience in teaching acrobatics at youth circus Santelli and at the Dutch circus schools ACaPa in Tilburg and Codarts Rotterdam. Also trains in acro-gymnastics. Has performed in many groups.
Donate to Stapel Foundation
Are you an (ex-)acrobat? Maybe even an (ex-) Stapel acrobat?
Or do you just love Acrobatics?
A fan of Stapel?
Would you like to support Stapel?
Help keep acrobatics in Amsterdam alive and kicking?
If you like, you can make a donation right here and receive some very special privileges!
Become Friend of Stapel
If you become Friend of Stapel you give a quarterly donation of your choice. You authorise Stichting Stapel to quarterly collect that amount of your bank account. The minimum donation for a Friend is € 25. If you want to stop your donation, we stop the authorisation.
Please contact Stapel if you want to become Friend of Stapel.
Stapel is very grateful for your support!